When your visit a blog, you must have noticed those orange buttons on display, especially if they are big and shiny like the one on the left. Those are RSS feed buttons. You know what they’re used for right? (If not, please refer to What is RSS? ). But you might wonder how do you put one of those in your blog?
Well, okay okay I’ll tell you how;
- Go find one in the net, just search for RSS buttons, make sure it’s free for use before you download them.
- Upload it into image host (e.g. Photobucket, Imageshack, Flickr etc.).
- Copy the direct link to the button.
- Decide where you want to put the button in your blog. I would suggest in the upper right side sidebar. By the way there are two RSS feeds come out from your blog. One is posts feed and the other one is comments feed. Its up to you whether you want to use separate buttons or use the same button twice or…..you decide.
- That was easy, now come the slightly difficult part, writing the code. Here is an example:
<a href="http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BloggerSentral" title="Click to subscribe"><img src="http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VehMnvwSdUM/Ts-3Wfe05QI/AAAAAAAACFU/ROHi3UE6laY/s1600/rss.png" style="border:0"/>Subscribe to my feed</a>
- Now you need to edit the code. The yellow part specifies your feed url, in the example is Blogger Sentral’s Feedburner feed url. If you do not use external service, your blog posts rss url will be
and the comments feed is
Just replace my url with yours. “Subscribe to my feed” text will appear next to the button. The title ”Click to subscribe” is a tooltip message which appears when you hover the button with the mouse. Both texts can be replaced with your own.
- The green portion specifies your button location on the web. Just copy and paste the link in step 3 to replace the url in the example.
- Now you code is complete. Click save.
- Go ahead view your blog.