Google Adsense in one of the more popular ways to monetize your blog. When implemented, Adsense will display targeted Google advertisements on your blog. The content of the ads is often relevant to your blog page’s content and audience.
This tutorial will show you the three ways how you can add Adsense ads to your blog. Of course to be able to do all this, you have to Sign up to Adsense first.
Note: Adsense allows only up to 3 ad units, 3 link units and 2 search boxes per page. Keep that limit in mind when adding your ads.
1. Inline ads
This method puts an ad unit at the end of each blog post, depending on your ad frequency setting.
- Go to Layout (old UI: Design > Page Elements) and click the edit link in Blog Posts gadget box.
- Check the Show Ads Between Posts checkbox.
- Configure your ad frequency, ad format, and colors. Live preview is provided beneath the settings.
- Click Save when done.
2. Adsense gadget
Use this method to add an ad unit as a widget, in places outside the blog post area. You can reposition the ad simply by dragging it in Layout page, just like any other widget. You can even target on which pages it should appear.
- Go to Layout (old UI: Design > Page Elements) and click an Add-A-Gadget link.
- Select Adsense Gadget.
- Configure your ad format and colors.
- Click Save when done.
3. Adsense code
This method is not as easy to implement as it involves some coding, but it gives you more control. The most notable benefits of using this method are:
- Place ad anywhere on your blog
You can place the code anywhere in your blog template, accessing locations otherwise impossible with inline ad or Adsense gadget. You can even place it in your blog post or page.
- Monitor your ad performance (channel monitoring).
Where is the best location to put an ad on your blog? Which format performs the best? Find out by yourself by assigning a channel/channels to an add. You can then monitor the ad performance through the channels. If you are serious about monetizing with Adsense, the this feature is a must use.
- Not limited to ad units.
You can choose types other than ad unit, such as link unit or search box.
Here’s a the procedure for creating an ad and adding it to your blog:
- Create an ad in Google Adsense website.
- Click AdSense Setup tab and then select Adsense For Content.
- Choose your ad type, choose format and colors and assign channels.
- When the setup is completed, you will be given a code. Copy the ad code and add it to your blog, using one of the following methods:
- Pasting it in a blog post’s or page’s HTML, or
- Placing it in the blog template. Make sure you escape the code first before pasting it in your template. If you want, you can make the ad appear only on certain page types and disappear on the rest, or vice versa.